Understanding the ELCAS Process

What is ELCAS?

The Ministry of Defence’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELCAS) is an initiative designed to promote lifelong learning among members of the Armed Forces. For veterans looking to transition into civilian roles, understanding and navigating the ELCAS process is crucial. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you out.

What funding options does ELCAS offer?

ELCAS provides two funding levels based on your service duration. You can receive either £1,000 or £2,000 annually, which covers 80% of your tuition fees. The remaining 20% is your responsibility, but many training providers offer flexible payment plans or installment options upon request.


How Do I Enrol?

There are several stages to the ELCAS process. Full information is set out in the Joint Service Publication (JSP) 822. Strict conditions apply for the use of ELC Funding.

For help or further information, please call us or contact your Resettlement Centre.

1. Check Eligibility

First, ensure you’re eligible for the scheme. ELCAS provides financial support across a maximum of three separate financial years, aiming to enable higher-level learning.

For the basic funding tier, you need a minimum of four years of service before 1st April 2017 or at least six years if enlisted after this date. For the higher tier, you need at least eight years of service.Further information is available on the ELCAS website: https://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/faqs#applying-02

2. Select an Approved Learning Provider

Ensure your chosen institution or course is recognized by ELCAS. Transport Training Academy, for instance, is one such approved provider.

3. Application Process

Once you’ve chosen a course, the next step is to apply. This involves:

  • Obtaining a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN).
  • Submitting the CAN and other necessary documents to the chosen learning provider.
  • Securing a place on the course.

4. Understanding the Funding

ELCAS contributes to the course fees, but remember, there are strict conditions for using the ELC funding. Thoroughly review all stipulations to ensure you’re compliant.

5. Ongoing Commitment

After completing your course, there’s a commitment required from you. You’ll need to provide evidence of course completion, which might include certificates or other relevant documents.

6. Taking Full Advantage of ELCAS

ELCAS isn’t just about the financial side of things. The scheme also provides a wealth of resources, advice, and guidance to help you make informed decisions about your learning journey.

Our commitment to you is to support you through every step of your learning and/or resettlement transition and beyond. Our highly knowledgeable team will provide you with honest career, education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) ensuring that your training is tailored to your specific requirements.


Conclusion

The ELCAS process, while appearing complex, is a structured pathway designed to facilitate the continued learning of Armed Forces personnel. With the right guidance and understanding, it can be a valuable tool in your post-military journey, aiding in skill acquisition and career progression.

For further information please call us or contact your Resettlement Centre.